Wednesday, June 27, 2007

10:46 PM


I can't believe I didn't see this when it first came out.

When Young Doctors Strut Too Much of Their Stuff - New York Times

When I was a new faculty physician, I worked with a resident doctor who was smart and energetic and took excellent care of her patients.

There was just one problem. As she delivered her thoughtful patient presentations to me and the other attending doctors, it was hard not to notice her low-cut dress.

“You two have to say something to her,” one of my male colleagues said to me and another female doctor one afternoon. But while none of us would have hesitated to intervene had she prescribed the wrong drug for a patient, we felt weird saying something to her about her clothes. So we didn’t.

Nearly a decade later, my impression is that more young physicians and students are dressing like that resident. Every day, it seems, I see a bit of midriff here, a plunging neckline there. Open-toed sandals, displaying brightly manicured toes, seem ubiquitous.


Midriffs, plunging necklines... so why is this a problem? This just proves what a great faculty member I am: I would never hesitate to say something about a low-cut dress. In fact, I should email this article to Cuddy.

And then I should email the author of this article and see if I can get that resident's CV.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big House fan here, just stumbled across this blog.
I am a bit confused though...is someone writing this blog from a Hugh Laurie perspective?

July 19, 2007 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope; from a Greg House perspective. Read the sidebar, dude.

And welcome back, doc. We've missed you.

July 21, 2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger Daniel Larsson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 24, 2007 6:28 AM  
Blogger Luneiro said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 25, 2007 8:27 AM  
Blogger Daniel Larsson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 27, 2007 6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 17, 2008 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 25, 2008 5:45 PM  
Blogger Rains said...

House MD TV Show is one of the best shows ever. All characters perform very well in this show. I am also a big fan of the show due to its storyline...

May 15, 2009 5:24 AM  
Anonymous soman said...

A big fan of Huge Laurie, I like to watch house md tv show bcz they have huge laurie.

July 15, 2009 6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T-Shirts House M.D - shop t-shirts

August 27, 2009 5:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really love Doctor House and, because I'm pretty new on the web, I just started a Squidoo len about the Medical Division. Hope you will enjoy it.

September 22, 2009 4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home